Certificate of Nonprofit Board Consulting (CNBC)
This program for nonprofit consultants is designed to better meet the ongoing need for governance training among nonprofit organizations.
A fast-paced, three-day virtual course designed to give nonprofit consultants the tools needed to address important and sometimes tough conversations that happen in the boardroom. The course facilitator and participants will discuss techniques that BoardSource has found most effective in working with boards while weaving in high-level nonprofit governance concepts, case studies, group work, and current nonprofit trends for a robust and fast-paced three days.
To register for one of the next available 2023 training dates, please click below to select the training you would like to attend. Registration is limited, so be sure to secure your spot today! Read our cancellation policies here.
About This Course
Instructors will not be doing a deep dive on these topics, but rather will share tools, strategies, and lessons learned about consulting on these topics.
● Governance Today: Trends and Current Topics
● Creating a Governance Legacy: Board Roles and Responsibilities
● The Constructive Partnership between Board and Staff
● Purpose Driven Board Leadership/Integrating Racial Equity into the Board Culture
● Board Building Cycle
● Structuring the High Performing Board: Meetings and Committees
● Building a Culture of Philanthropy: The Board’s Role in Fundraising
● Assessments: CEO and Board
● Practices of Exceptional Boards
● Consultant Conversations: Creating a Proposal and Designing a Meeting
● Strategy Cafe
● CrowdSource Consulting – workshop a consulting challenge
● Facilitation Considerations
This course is for you if:
- You have a working knowledge of the basic tenets of nonprofit governance -if you don’t have a basic understanding of nonprofit governance, please first take our Certificate of Nonprofit Board Education
- You are currently serving as a nonprofit board consultant and want to learn more about the trends, tools, and strategies for working with nonprofit boards
- You are interested in beginning a career in nonprofit board consulting and bring experience as a nonprofit staff or board member
- You work for a nonprofit federated organization, management support organization, or nonprofit state association and help other nonprofits with their board and governance needs.
- Led by senior governance consultants with extensive experience consulting with nonprofit boards
- Includes a course portal filled with resources, tools, and handouts you can use with your clients
- Format includes both large group discussions and small-group conversations and assignments in breakout rooms
- Peer learning opportunities for sharing resources, lessons learned on building a consulting practice, and other governance training advice
The Certificate of Nonprofit Board Education(CNBE) is an online four-module, on-demand program that covers the fundamental nonprofit governance concepts every nonprofit leader should understand, including board structure and practices, the roles and responsibilities of board members, and financial and legal oversight. It also focuses on the identification, recruitment, and orientation of board members; the board-staff partnership; board meetings and the use of committees; the board’s fundraising role; board member motivation, responsibilities, and accountability. It features closed captioning, videos, and other elements that make for a more immersive learning experience.
The Certificate of Nonprofit Board Consulting (CNBC) is a virtual, live training held over zoom and is designed primarily for nonprofit board consultants or nonprofit staff that work as internal consultants to nonprofit boards. Unlike the CNBE, the CNBC assumes attendees already understand the fundamentals of board governance. This training is focused on how consultants can train or consult with nonprofit boards around these basic governance topics. The course facilitator and participants will discuss techniques that BoardSource has found most effective in working with boards while weaving in high-level nonprofit governance concepts, case studies, group work, and current nonprofit trends for a robust and fast-paced three days.
The Certificate of Nonprofit Board Consulting (CNBC) is a three-day training that educates nonprofit board consultants on techniques and strategies for consulting with nonprofit boards. Upon completion of the CNBC, participants receive a digital certificate that they can share on their social media or with clients to identify that they completed this training. The CNBC course is separate from our Certified Governance Consultants Program and Directory. The Certified Governance Consultant program is designed to connect nonprofits with a diverse group of governance consultants with a variety of skills, lived experiences, and abilities that nonprofits need to improve their board governance. The Certified Governance Consultants have been vetted by BoardSource and are listed in a searchable directory of consultants. The program also includes training and networking opportunities for the CGCs as well as a community designed to support both the CGCs and BoardSource in serving the nonprofit sector’s governance needs. Taking this course does not automatically lead to your inclusion in this directory. Select individuals may be contacted upon completion of this course to gauge their interest in becoming a Certified Governance Consultant and will be invited to present virtually to BoardSource staff. This invitation to present is solely at BoardSource’s discretion and is not a component of the course itself. If you are interested in becoming a CGC, please fill out this form to indicate interest.
Due to the high number of interested consultants, we cannot engage in this process with everyone interested. We are currently working to update this program to ensure that our pool of trainers and consultants is not just highly qualified but also diverse – in all manner of ways, including racially/ethnically, geographically, and in expertise and background.
Don’t see a date that works for you? Join the waitlist to be notified of future CNBC trainings!