BoardSource’s governance education program, the Certificate of Nonprofit Board Education, is for new and potential board members, staff and consultants who are new to working with a board, and others who want to understand the major building blocks of an effective board.
Certificate of Nonprofit Board Education
The program covers the fundamental nonprofit governance concepts every nonprofit leader should understand, including board structure and practices, the roles and responsibilities of board members, and financial and legal oversight. This certificate is offered through a series of six webinars or through a two-day in-person training.
During the course of this certificate program, you will also learn about the identification, recruitment, and orientation of board members; the board-staff partnership; board meetings and the use of committees; the board’s fundraising role; board member motivation, responsibilities, and accountability; and competing governance models and governance trends.
At the conclusion of this certificate program, you will have
- gained insights, tools, and materials that further your understanding of nonprofit board governance
- developed a network of peers for the exchange of information and mutual support
- examined approaches, assumptions, questions, and practices regarding good governance
Who should participate?
This certificate program is recommended for
- new and potential nonprofit board members who are committed to becoming valuable leaders in the boardroom
- staff who are new to working with a board
- consultants, management assistance providers, trainers, field staff, and association staff who are new to working with nonprofit boards