BoardSource’s program for federated networks provides your entire network of nonprofit organizations with expertise and guidance to answer their governance questions, making it simple for the headquarter staff to increase governance capacity across the full network.
For one annual membership fee, purchased through the headquarter organization, your entire network will have access to BoardSource’s support and resources. This means each and every board and staff leader will have free and unlimited access to consistent and reliable information to guide their board leadership and governance practices, be it board roles and responsibilities, effective meeting practices, or how to deal with a challenging board issue.
When they have questions or need governance support, they can turn to BoardSource. Our member resources ensure that your leaders won’t have to overburden national staff or reinvent the wheel when they need board governance information and resources.
Training Opportunities and Access to Our Certificate of Nonprofit Board Education
Expert Email Assistance for Challenging Questions or Issues that Arise Quickly
Toolkits, Templates, and Guides You Can Download and Implement Right Away
A Platform to Connect with Your Nonprofit Peers from Other Organizations
The membership program for federated networks allows us to extend resources, training, and templates to all of our chapter boards and staff without having to create our own board tools.
ROI for us is very high.
BoardSource membership program for federated networks member
Benefits for Leaders Across Your Federated Network
- Certificate of Nonprofit Board Education: Designed for those who want to understand the major building blocks of an effective nonprofit board. The six-module, on-demand program covers the fundamental nonprofit governance concepts every nonprofit leader should understand, including board structure and practices, the roles and responsibilities of board members, and financial and legal oversight.
- Hundreds of topic papers: BoardSource has a collection of hundreds of topic papers and articles on a wide range of nonprofit governance and board leadership topics. They are short and easily digestible in format, making them perfect for quick reference. They are accessible online and organized by topic.
- Monthly Member Education Webinars: Visit the BoardSource training calendar to register for upcoming webinars. Previously recorded webinars are also available to you in the store, but free of charge.
- The BoardSource Exchange: The BoardSource Exchange is a collaborative tool that enables you to connect, engage, and share governance information with all BoardSource members – volunteers and professionals like you who are committed to effecting board leadership and making a difference in their communities.
- Ask-an-Expert email service: Facing a challenge within your nonprofit board? BoardSource’s governance experts provide direct support. Send your question or dilemma to us through the Ask-an-Expert email service, and they will get back to your with advice and/or resources as quickly as possible.
- Downloadable templates, tools, and infographics: We provide our community members with practical tools they can download and use right away, infographics that serve as thought pieces, and other valuable easy-to-access resources.
- Additional discounts: Discounts on BoardSource trainings; assessments; publications; our biennial conference, the BoardSource Leadership Forum; and bulk rate discounts on office supplies for a single chapter or the entire network.
How We Support Headquarter Liaisons (the primary contact for the membership with BoardSource)
- Monthly updates and communication materials: BoardSource knows that it can be a challenge for individuals to seek out resources with their busy schedule, and that as the liaison, it is your task to provide benefits that affiliates or chapters will use and value. BoardSource will provide language, materials, tips, and suggestions to help you launch and promote benefits to your network. In addition, we will provide monthly updates, a listing upcoming opportunities, relevant news, and key resources, that you can use to format as you wish and forward on to your network.
- Quarterly reports: Liaisons have access (via their My Account section on the website) to the number of people who have signed up for membership benefits. This will allow you to track who is using the membership and to tailor communications accordingly, and to update the list as needed.
- Liaison peer meet-ups: The role of supporting great governance across your network can be a behemoth task. What are the better communications styles for increased engagement? How best should you support a network with vastly differing levels of governance knowledge? BoardSource will provide the space for you to engage with your peers to discuss best practices and challenges in providing support across a network of organizations.
The following organizations are among those that have partnered with BoardSource to strengthen board leadership within their networks.
Communities In Schools
Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association
Make-A-Wish Foundation of America
National Justice for Our Neighbors
Near East South Asia (NESA) Council of Overseas Schools
Ronald McDonald House Charities
The Arc New York
The Innocence Network
Volunteers of America
Washington State Dental Association
Provide your network’s board and leaders with the support they need to understand and fulfill their important roles.
Annual Membership Fees for Federated Networks
Membership is purchased by the headquarter organization and is based on the number of affiliates or chapters within your network.
20 or Fewer
Affiliates or Chapters
Affiliates or Chapters
More than 100
Affiliates or Chapters
If you have questions about membership and would like to talk to a BoardSource team member, please call (202) 349-2570 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is our hope that BoardSource’s leadership program for networks is affordable and accessible to the vast majority of nonprofits. If your organization is unable to invest in a leadership program that supports your entire network at this time, you may want to consider our individual membership program for nonprofit leaders or our Board Support Program for your individual chapters or affiliates.