BoardSource’s governance education program, the Certificate of Nonprofit Board Education for Corporate Employees, is designed for those who want to learn how to leverage their unique skills to make a difference and be an effective and engaged nonprofit board member.
Certificate of Nonprofit Board Education for Corporate Employees
The three-module, on-demand or live webinar program, covers the benefits of serving on a nonprofit board and the questions to ask when searching for a board to join, the differences between the for-profit, government and nonprofit sectors, the fundamental nonprofit governance concepts every nonprofit leader should understand, as well as how you can have a positive and lasting impact on the nonprofit you serve.
During the course of this certificate program, you will also learn about the legal responsibilities of board members, how to manage conflicts of interest, fulfilling your board roles and responsibilities, building a diverse board; the board-staff partnership; board meetings and the use of committees; the board’s fundraising role; board member motivation, responsibilities, and accountability; and how to be an advocate for your nonprofit.
Certificate Objectives, Modules, & ACCESS
Gain insights and receive resources, including The Governance Series, that further your understanding of the fundamentals of nonprofit board service.
Develop a network of peers who are other BoardSource members to gain mutual support, and to share information through our community on the BoardSource Exchange.
Examine approaches, assumptions, and practices about nonprofit board service; you’ll be prepared to put the learning to work with access to a “course portal” that includes tools, templates, and other materials.
Introduction to Nonprofit Board Service and the Nonprofit Sector
- Explore the benefits of joining a nonprofit board and how to prepare for board service.
- Learn how to leverage your unique skills in service to a nonprofit board.
- Build an understanding of the size and scope of the nonprofit sector and how it influences the work of the nonprofit board, as well as how it differs from the for-profit and government sectors.
Roles of the Nonprofit Board and Individual Board Members
- Understand the legal responsibilities of board members
- Develop a working knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of nonprofit boards
- Learn how to safeguard against conflicts of interest
Preparing to be a Productive and Impactful Board Member
- Understand the key strategies for productive board member engagement
- Identify the steps and benefits of building a diverse and inclusive board
- Develop a working knowledge of how you can help raise funds and advocate for your organization and its mission
You must be an employee of a BoardSource corporate member to register for the Certificate of Nonprofit Board Education for Corporate Employees due to the amount of materials and resources provided to participants.
Already a BoardSource corporate member?
Corporate Member Price: $499
Corporate Plus Member Price: $0