Sample Board Member Job Posting (Advocacy Expertise)
This sample is intended to provide you with a template for developing your board postings and is designed for use with LinkedIn Board Connect. Please customize it to meet your needs.
The description below should be replaced with one that describes your organization. View it as an opportunity to inspire prospective board members to engage with your organization and to apply to serve on your board.
ABC Organization is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to ensuring that each organization recruits the board members it needs to ensure maximum impact. ABC Organization strives to support and promote excellence in board service and is the premier source of cutting-edge thinking and resources related to nonprofit board recruitment and governance.
Our board members champion the importance of exceptional board leadership and believe that each and every organization needs a strong and effective board to fully realize its potential for good. In addition to the standard roles and responsibilities of a board member, our board members are active advocates and ambassadors for the organization and are fully engaged in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for ABC Organization to advance its mission.
Provide information on the nature of your industry here, be it education, health care, youth development, etc.
Nonprofit Organization Management
Job Title: Volunteer Board Member (Advocacy Expertise)
Volunteer Board Member
Note: This is your opportunity to describe what is expected of your board members.
ABC Organization, [description of the organization and its mission], seeks a board member with experience in [areas of expertise as prioritized by the board] and a personal commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
The board of ABC organization is a volunteer board. Members are not paid and dedicate their time and expertise to support ABC organization and its mission and collective purpose.
Expectations of Individual Board Members
We expect each board member to:
- Know the organization’s mission, policies, programs, and needs.
- Faithfully read and understand the organization’s financial statements and board materials in advance of meetings.
- Serve as active advocates and ambassadors for the organization and fully engage in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for ABC Organization to advance its mission and collective purpose.
- Leverage connections, networks, and resources to develop collective action to achieve ABC Organization’s mission.
- Give a meaningful personal financial donation.
- Help identify personal connections that can benefit the organization’s fundraising and reputational standing, and influence public policy.
- Prepare for, attend, and conscientiously participate in board meetings.
- Participate fully in one or more committees or task forces.
- Engage in learning opportunities to better understand the community your organization serves.
- Respect the experiences of all who bring their voices and lived experiences on to the board and into the boardroom and the organization.
- Honor our values.
We are looking for mission-aligned individuals with [fill in the qualities that have been prioritized by the board; i.e. strong collaboration, communication, implementation, and strategic skills], a commitment to DEI, and expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Area of expertise #1
- Area of expertise #2
- Area of expertise #3
- Area of expertise #4
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We know that to achieve our goals, fulfill our mission, and realize our vision, we need to include individuals with perspectives drawn from a wide range of cultural and ethnic backgrounds, skill sets, areas of expertise, and lived experiences to help us avoid decision-making that could diminish the impact of our work.
We are publicly recruiting for board positions to ensure that we move beyond our immediate networks and honor our ongoing commitment to creating a board that is diverse in its composition, inclusive in its culture, and equity-focused in its approach to how it views its mission, its work, and the communities it serves.
101 Resource | Last updated: November 16, 2023