Checklist of Board Roles and Responsibilities
Basic board roles and responsibilities are the foundation for a successful board. BoardSource has designed this checklist so you can quickly remind yourself of your key responsibilities. It’s also a great board orientation tool! Can you check all the boxes?
Establishing identity and direction
- Has the board adopted or revised a strategic plan or defined a strategic direction for the organization within the past three years?
- Does the board ensure that the organization’s mission, vision, and values are reflected in the organization’s programs?
- Are the organization’s strategic priorities adequately reflected in the annual budget?
Ensuring the necessary resources
- Has the board adopted policies related to funds to be pursued and/or accepted in support of the mission?
- Does the board expect all its members to be active participants in fundraising efforts?
- Does the board’s composition reflect the strategic needs of the organization?
- Is the board confident that the chief executive’s skills and other qualities represent a good match for the organization’s strategic needs?
- Does the board seek and review information related to the organization’s reputation?
- Does the board contract with an outside auditor for the annual audit?
- Does the organization have up-to-date risk management policies and plans?
- Does the board monitor progress toward achievement of goals related to the organization’s programs?
- Does the board have a clear understanding of the organization’s financial health?
- Does the chief executive receive an annual performance review by the board?
- Are all board members familiar with the chief executive’s compensation package?
- Does the board regularly assess its own performance?
- Are organizational and board policies regularly reviewed?
- Do committees and task forces actively engage board members in the work of the board?
- Do board meeting agendas focus the board’s attention on issues of strategic importance?
- Do board members have easy access to information needed for effective decision making?
101 Resource | Last updated: December 26, 2019
Resource: Board Fundamentals