The Judith O’Connor Memorial Fund Scholarships enable emerging nonprofit leaders to advance their leadership skills, learn about progressive practices in nonprofit governance, and interact with nonprofit leaders from across the country at the BoardSource Leadership Forum.
The Judith O’Connor Memorial Fund Scholarships for Emerging Nonprofit Leaders program was created in 2005 to honor the legacy of Judith O’Connor, the former president & CEO of BoardSource, and to educate emerging sector leaders about exceptional leadership and governance practices.
Since it was established, the fund has enabled approximately 15 to 20 nonprofit leaders to participate in the BoardSource Leadership Forum each time it has been presented. Scholarship recipients receive free conference registration and lodging at the conference hotel, as well as a one-year BoardSource membership.
Former scholars reflecting on their experience…
Jermaine Smith, 2015 Judith O’Connor Memorial Scholar
I am a millennial. I am a black man. I am a fundraiser. I am a board member (and soon board chair). These are some of the ways I describe myself. Yet, as my experience in the nonprofit sector has deepened, I have discovered that many board leaders describe me a different way: I am a unicorn.
Look Out, Nonprofit Sector!
Here I Come!
Jana Murdock, 2014 Judith O’Connor Memorial Scholar
The recent BoardSource Leadership Forum was quite an experience! As a novice in the world of governance, I was amazed at the resources and support that are available to make nonprofit boards something worth having. I was excited to learn the basics of building a board, finding out…
“I really enjoyed meeting and getting to know the other scholars, especially learning more about their organizations, their boards, and the challenges and successes in their organizations. The conference was inspiring, and I left feeling energized about my organization and its mission.
— Sharlissa Moore, 2015 Judith O’Connor Scholar
The scholarships are awarded to leaders who best meet the following criteria:
- Nonprofit board members with less than three years of experience serving on a nonprofit board OR nonprofit executives or staff members with less than three years of experience working with a nonprofit board
- Demonstrate leadership ability and potential for their organization and the nonprofit community
Information about our 2017 program coming soon.
- Are affiliated with a nonprofit organization that has an annual budget less than $5 million
- Will enrich the diversity of the sector. Diversity includes but is not limited to age, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, and disability.
- Would not otherwise be able to attend the BoardSource Leadership Forum (and have not attended previously)
Having worked closely with Judy, I witnessed firsthand her ability to encourage people, build relationships, and exemplify an unwavering belief in the power of nonprofits to strengthen society. Judy’s mentoring of new leaders in the sector is her legacy.
— Marianne Eby, June 2002, having recently taken over the role of CEO at BoardSource following Judith O’Connor