How can we ensure our governing documents and policies are designed to support effective stewardship and model best practices?
Our Governance Check-Up & Review
It’s important that you do a periodic review of all of your governance documents and policies. While some boards conduct this review themselves, many find it helpful to engage an outside expert to incorporate a fresh set of eyes and insights informed by current trends within governance and the nonprofit sector. That’s where BoardSource comes in.
Our Governance Check-Up will help your board and organization ensure that it is operating in compliance with accepted governance practices and providing effective stewardship of the charitable assets of your organization. It can be conducted on its own, or in coordination with a Board Self-Assessment & Action Planning Session.
As part of the check-up, our governance experts will
- assess structures and processes used to provide oversight
- analyze areas of potential risk for board members
- provide written recommendations on opportunities to add or adjust governance practices to strengthen board performance, with an emphasis on core governance practices and generally accepted principles of good governance
- provide you with a completed governance compliance checklist that can be shared with funders and other stakeholders, if desired
The $10,000 engagement fee* includes the following:
- Thorough review of the organization’s governance documents and policies
- Consultant-led interviews with the board chair, chief executive, and up to four other board leaders that are focused on better understanding existing governance practices and policies
- A written report summarizing findings and recommended action items
- Access to ongoing educational resources and support via our Board Support Program for nonprofit organizations
*Travel expenses not included. Pricing is for the Governance Check-Up only. If an organization would like its Governance Check-Up done in conjunction with a Board Self-Assessment & Action Planning Session, an additional engagement fee of $8,500 ($7,000 for organizational members) will apply.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?
Tell us more about your board’s unique situation.
Have a simple governance question?
BoardSource members have access to complimentary governance email assistance.